If you’ve been following along on my Instagram Stories lately, you’ll be familiar with what I’m about to share. If not, strap on your seatbelts and come along for the ride!
I’ve been working on my Wavedeck shawl (also known by its project name, “LoveWave”). You may remember in my last post, “Draggin’ the Line”, I wrote that I hope it “…doesn’t hit another snag.” Well, guess what?
It’s hit (at least) two snags.
Snag the First:
I’ve been trying to work Row 11 in Tier 3 for the last couple of days. Well, when I attempted to finish the row, I noticed that my stitch count was off and I wasn’t able to complete the chart row. I then remembered at one point I had knit three together because I had found an extra stitch where there wasn’t supposed to be one. So I tinked back to where I had knit the three stitches together and took a look.
One look at both the front and back of those stitches gave me a hunch: I may have slipped a stitch on the wrong side row instead of purling it and then purled the next stitch, thus creating a yarn over when I didn’t need one. So I decided to surround the offending stitches with some stitch markers and then tink all the way back to the same point in the previous row. I took one look and my suspicions were confirmed. Easy fix, just tink back to just before the slipped stitch, purl that stitch, and continue purling to my edge stitches, which are in knit garter stitch.
I then work my way back to where the offending stitches were on the wrong side (which I kept marked), and this is what I saw:
And this is what I was able to do:
So far, so good, right?
Snag the Second:
I’m merrily working along trying to finish this damn Tier 3, Row 11, and then just a little ways past the first troublemaker, I encounter this baby:
And I notice that something in this section is throwing off my groups of ssk, yo (slip slip knit, yarn over) on this end of the repeat. I decide to mark this group of offending stitches to take a closer look at what may be throwing off my lace here.
I notice that I may have made an error in the previous right side row, specifically placing a knit 1 in the wrong place, because looking at the chart, I have a knit 1 below a ssk instead of a yarn over, or something like that.
I think it’s just a couple of stitches to the left of that stitch marker where I may have screwed up.
So, it looks like I’m back on the train to Tinkertown, because now I have to tink back not only the rest of this right side row, but now the entire wrong side row that I had just fixed plus the previous right side row up to where I believe I made my mistake, then examine the chart on that row and if my suspicions turn out to be correct, then fix that row. (Yes, I know the Yarn Harlot did a whole post on how to fix a small section of lace without tinking, but I lack the labels, a spare circular, and the proper double pointed needles that would work best in this situation. And I’m using two different sized needles, too, which adds another layer to the Cake of Complication. As much as it sucks that I have to do it, tinking is my best and only real option here.)
And this is how far I’ve gotten. As of this post, I have successfully tinked back to the end of Row 10 (the wrong side row), and am preparing to tink that row back to the end of Row 10, which will then be tinked back to the suspecting section, and I will rework that section to see if my hunch is indeed correct.
And here is the song that inspired my post title, “Funkytown” by Lipps Inc.