When we last left my shawl, it looked something like this:
It was a handful of repeats into the pattern, but already showing promise.
Over the course of 17 days, adding repeat by repeat, it started to look like a nice shawlette. Not a full size shawl, but honestly I’m cool with that because the weather here is (for the most part) too warm to warrant a full-size shawl, but is perfect for shawlettes and triangular scarves to complement a cute outfit or cover a lady’s shoulders when the weather does get a little more chilly late in the year. As the project got wider and longer, I started to worry: do I have enough yarn left? So, I made the decision to insert a lifeline at the end of one full repeat of the outer blue section of the original cake of Mandala (which you can see in the photo above). I got some leftover yarn from the Unicorn Virus shawl and threaded it through all the stitches on my needle…and there was well over 100, possibly 200 stitches in that increase section separate from the edging.
See the pink yarn there? That’s my lifeline. I told myself I was going to work one last repeat in the blue before binding off, thinking I was going to definitely be playing yarn chicken 🐔 on the bind off…and this was not an ordinary bind off. This pattern called for a picot bind off. That’s pronounced “pee-ko” for you non-crafters, it is a homophone to pekoe tea (sounds the same, spelled differently); picot is French for “pin” and refers to the points that the bind off creates. Basically, you cast on a small number of stitches using the cable cast-on (which creates a small point) and you bind off a slightly larger number of stitches than you have in your point. This project called for a cast on 2, bind off 5 picot bind-off. It took about half an hour of diligent binding off and some listening to Anthony Bourdain: Parts Unknown on Netflix to make it happen, but it did! (We got rid of our satellite TV this weekend after multiple frustrations with the company; we’re currently on a free trial of an over-the-top service right now for our main TV, but as the app for the service is not available for download on my TV, we’ve decided to switch to the local cable company and we’re gonna have new cable equipment installed on Tuesday. Unfortunately, my TV also does not have a digital antenna plugged in, so I can’t even watch over-the-air programming when I’m in my bedroom, so my TV can only show Netflix, YouTube, and the WWE Network until we get the cable equipment installed.) Here’s a detail of the bind off edge; you can even make out the lifeline in the knitting if you look close enough.
When the picot bind off was done, this was how much yarn was left over:
(The bottom pic is a top view.)
As it turns out, I had plenty of yarn left over, even after the bind off!
So, here are some pictures of my finished project! First, the specifics:
Pattern: “Close to You” by Justyna Lorkowska / Yarn: Lion Brand Mandala in “Mermaid” / Needles: US #6 by Boye (6.25 mm), 29-inch circular needles
(I’ve linked to the Ravelry pattern database page, which is available as a free download from Ravelry if you’d like to knit this pattern yourself.)
Here are some pictures of the shawl in action! I must say, the temperature was in the mid-80s Fahrenheit when I took them, and I was sweaty as hell! (The humidity made it feel like 90.)
(I used the side view mirror on my dad’s Jeep for the draping shot, and then for the hands-free selfies, I set the iPad on the lid of our trash can and used the camera timer for each shot. I just wish my boobs didn’t look so big in these shots! 😂🤣😂🤣)
I had a lot of fun knitting this one! The colorway kept me interested, the stitch pattern was somewhat simple, but still enjoyable to knit, and I loved the asymmetric quality of the pattern. I’ll be resuming work on Rock Me on the Bias soon, but I just want to revel in the awesomeness of this one just a little longer.